Do You Need Supplements? – Nutrition Notes
Hey, what’s up?
The supplement industry is a billion dollar industry because most are sold as a “quick fix.” The reality is, no supplement will do anything for you if you don’t work out regularly. While supplements do fill important gaps in your nutrition, having a daily meal replacement shake won’t do much good if you’re also eating fast food and drinking soda daily and having a glass of wine nightly.
When I research and test supplements, I am looking for:
- Does it save you time?
- Does it save you money?
- Will it accelerate your hard work?
- Is it easy to adapt into your busy lifestyle?
Here are my top 3 Recommended Supplements.
I LOVE a fresh green smoothie! There are so many ways to blend together healthy plant foods that taste amazing and make you feel good. I just don’t always have the time to prep the vegetables and don’t feel like buying all the different types because if I don’t use them all, they spoil.
For this reason, supergreens powder is a tool I love because it’s quick and gives you the same benefits. Look, supergreens is flash frozen plant foods–so it’s not going to taste exactly like a fresh smoothie. But I can make it in seconds on the cheap by pouring one scoop in my shaker bottle—that convenience can’t be beat!.I regularly use the Dr. Greens we have at m.e.l.t. and have used Beachbody’s in the past, too.
Supergreens are great to suppress your appetite, help with cravings and give you a ton of nutrients.
Meal Replacement Shakes
Studies have shown that if you replace a meal every day with a nutritionally dense shake you will lose weight because you are only consuming the calories you body needs and no more. As far as meal replacement shakes go, I’d suggest replace the one meal you have the most trouble with (breakfast, dinner, etc.) so it’s a sure fire way to get clean nutrients in your body. I recommend Shakeology, it’s not the cheapest but it is the highest quality and it tastes amazing. I started using it on the show because I had access to it, but quickly found it actually gave me energy and reduced cravings. Then I started to study it and found it has the highest quality nutrient profile out of any meal replacement:
- Protein to help with muscle
- Prebiotics & Probiotics to help nutrient absorption
- Digestive enzymes to help regularity
- Antioxidants & Phytonutrients to fight free radical damage
- Vitamins & minerals to help with immunity
- Adaptogen herbs (rare herbs that grow in crazy environments) that help the body respond to stress
Each shake breaks down to about $4.51, which is actually a great price for all the nutrition you get.
I use both Shakeology Vegan Tropical Strawberry (mixed with coconut water) & Chocolate (mixed with water).
You also can have these post-workout as a meal replacement, but there are specific reasons why you’d have this just as a meal and a post workout shake just as a recovery shake. Recovery shakes are designed to help your muscles get maximum absorption immediately post workout so you’re less sore and fatigued so you recover faster where as Shakeology would be a dense nutrition shake to replace a meal.
I use both Doctor’s Vegan protein that we offer at m.e.l.t. and Beachbody’s Recover. I’ve been using Doctor’s products for years now and grew to love it with Beachbody’s Orange Recover since I started using it back in April. Doctor’s is a VERY clean protein and Beachbody’s Recover is also high quality, but Recover has a slightly better recovery profile and tastes better….which is saying a lot because I do enjoy Dr.’s Vegan taste.
Do You Need Them?
But it’s up to you. You can use one. You can use none.
You don’t necessarily need supplements, but they do enhance your efforts and make it easy to get the right nutrients without spending a ton of time cooking multiple meals and juicing your own shakes.
My recommendation is to do whatever you feel is best for you. It’s my job to show you the best options out there and give you the “why” behind it.
However, if you do purchase anything from Beachbody, I ask that you purchase from me.
And it’s okay if you’ve already purchased stuff from Beachbody, because you can transfer them to my account. Which isn’t just good for me, it’s even better for you as next month I am launching my inner circle accountability coaching group. If you are currently a Beachbody customer, you can switch to my team at the following link – a m.e.l.t.er did it the other night and it only took her a few minutes!
- Click on this link and then click on “Request Customer Coach Change.” Choose your preferred language and then choose “Customer.”
- Add your name, email, and billing zip code
- To change Beachbody coaches, you’ll need my name, coach email and coach ID, as follows:
- Name: Joe Carabase
- Joe’s Coach Email: email@example.com
- Joe’s Coach ID: 1316184
- Answer Yes to the question “Would you like to transfer the credit of your recent order to your new Coach? *”
Note: please do not email me at my coach email; it’s my personal email I do not answer. Please use my professional email; firstname.lastname@example.org.
With my NEW Inner Circle, you get:
- Access to a private accountability group
- Access to ALL the challenges we do at m.e.l.t.
- Bonus mini challenges specific to group; for example, 24 hour fasts, 5 day mobility challenges, 7 days to caffeine free. Basically you will have access to all the stuff I do for myself that gets the best results,
- I’ll be sharing my weekly workouts and the different things I am doing
- My weekly bonus videos, based on whatever you want/need more of PLUS full access to the library
This “Silver” membership will be only $47 per month, then there will be two higher levels with more personalization & coaching but this month I’m going to hook anyone up with a HUGE discount who invests in their supplementation as that says to me you’re serious which is someone I want to work with.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Recommended Resources –