Quick ‘n’ Easy Stir-Fry — Recipe of the Week
Hey, what’s cookin’?
There’s a recipe that’s been floating around Pinterest that caught my attention the other day. It’s called “Crack Slaw;” and while I’m not crazy about the name, I am convinced that this dish deserves its widespread popularity. It’s lean ground beef, stir-fried with a bag of pre-shredded cabbage and other vegetables in a light, Asian-inspired sauce–without a grain or starch in sight. It will satisfy your craving for Chinese takeout and leave you feeling much better than those heavy, salty, oily, brown-sauced dishes you’re used to. This stir-fry comes together so quickly and easily it’s actually faster than a run to the nearest takeout. So I’ve decided to feature it here as “Quick ‘n’ Easy Stir-Fry.” But no matter what you call it, you are going to find it a great addition to your cooking rotation!
Lean ground beef that is marked 95/5 is a bit more expensive than 80/20 ground beef, but that’s because you get more protein for your money. One ounce of 95/5 ground beef is 67% protein, 33% fat, and 0% carbohydrates, with only 38 calories. It is naturally low in sodium and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, phosphorus and selenium, and a very good source of vitamin B12 and zinc. There is a small downside to ground beef; it is high in cholesterol and contains trans fats. But it can still be part of a healthy diet! Should you want to change up the protein in this dish, the sky is the limit; this stir-fry works just as well with chunks of chicken tenders, strips of boneless pork, and shrimp.
Quick ‘n’ Easy Stir-Fry
Serves: 3- 4
- 1/4 c. Bragg’s aminos or coconut aminos
- 2 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbs chili garlic sauce or Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 lb. ground beef; 95/5 (protein/fat ratio)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs fresh grated ginger
- 1 14-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 oz snow peas, stems removed
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, both white and green parts
- 1 tbs sesame seeds or finely chopped raw cashews
- In a small bowl stir together the aminos, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Add the sunflower oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the ground beef, garlic, ginger, and salt and pepper. Cook the ground beef until no pink remains (about five minutes).
- Add the coleslaw mix, carrots, red pepper, and snow peas to the skillet and continue to stir and cook until the cabbage is wilted. Add a dash more oil if needed.
- Stir in the prepared sauce and the green onions. Toss and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and sprinkle sesame seeds/cashews over the stir-fry, Serve. Add extra Sriracha, salt, and pepper to individual taste.
Note: Serve the stir-fry over cauliflower rice if you are extra hungry!